Dec 6, 2012

CEREBRART - In Memoriam: David Warren Brubeck

We live in an artificial overly-geometrically-correct tetragonal culture. Tetragonal shapes having four angles or sides are all around us including my CEREBRART artworks. But our brain is a pentagonal universe - from the anatomical Circulus Willisii (pentagonal vascular circle at the base of the brain) to the neuronal acetylcholine receptor having a pentagonal molecular structure.

Brubeck’s "Take Five" helped me to understand this pentagonal brain universe. David Warren Brubeck died on Dec. 05, 2012, morning. I heard his "Take Five" for the first time when I was about 15 years old and even with my then very limited capacity to understand jazz music, I was greatly impressed by that piece. "Take Five" (that became the Brubeck quartet's theme) was a musical milestone deviated from the standard 4/4 time (or 3/4 waltz time) of Western music using the unusual quintuple (5/4) time. This CEREBRART work illustrates Brubeck’s pentagonal universe.

-   

3 comments:

  1. cool jazz in the hot style

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...That's why
    think five.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Anonymous and Hmyrj, "Take Five" has been lived in my brain for decades. And I believe that flexible and lovely brain-friendly 5/4 time - which almost no contemporary popular music even tries to explore - could be immensely helpful do destroy nasty boring standard-trivial 4/4 rhythms creating a dirty chaotic brains.

    ReplyDelete